Homily

A Brief Introduction to the Diocese of Shrewsbury

The Diocese of Shrewsbury has 114 churches (as of 2012). The cathedral is in Shrewsbury, and is dedicated to Our Lady Help of Christians and St Peter Alcantara, and the diocesan offices are at Prenton.The Diocese of Southwarkwas founded in 1850, and encompasses the counties of Cheshire and Shropshire (and, since local government reorganisation, parts of Derbyshire, Merseyside and Greater Manchester. It is a suffragan diocese of the Archdiocese of Birmingham in Province of Birmingham.

The cathedral was begun by the 16th Earl of Shrewsbury and AWN Pugin, both of whom died before it was complete and their respective sons (both aged 19) took on the project. When it became apparent that the proposed tower could not be built, the 17th Earl proposed that a grander cathedral be built at Birkenhead. Rome objected, and so Shrewsbury retained its cathedral, though the plans for Birkenhead (Our Lady’s) were carried out without its tower.

The diocesan website is here.

The Taking Stock review for Shrewsbury was completed in 2012.