The Presbytery, Pottery Street, Barrow-in-Furness LA14 2AX
1929 neo-Basilican/Byzantine church of some quality, but not of special architectural or historic interest.
Expansion of the ironworks and ship yard led to the establishment in 1899 (from St Mary’s) of two new missions – St Patrick’s on Walney Island and Sacred Heart. For the latter, a dual purpose school and chapel was built to the designs of Sinnott and Powell of Manchester, and this survives as the school. The original plans for this building are on the file in the diocesan offices. Expansion of the school and demands on space led to the new church being built on Lumley Street in 1929 (cost £7000).
Brick built church with terracotta trim, in Basilican-Byzantine style. Broad and low west tower, round headed windows, uninterrupted ridge line to nave and chancel roof.
The interior consists of an unaisled nave with uninterrupted views, spanned by segmental arched vaulting. Tripartite arched arrangement at division with sanctuary, high central arch with lower flanking ones giving on to side chapels; stylised Byzantine capitals.
Stations of the Cross from Italy, in iron frames.
The church was reordered and a new porch added in 1976. In 1981 the roof of the nave collapsed and was rebuilt with the addition of substantial and ungainly external buttresses.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1929
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed