Mansfield Lane, Calverton, Nottinghamshire
St Anthony’s is a chapel of ease, served from Southwell (qv). The present church was built in 1993, replacing a prefabricated building on the same site, which had been in use as a chapel since 1945. The new church was funded by housing development on the site and was designed to be dual purpose, serving social as well as liturgical needs. The architect was John Marshall of Marshalls (Nottingham). The church was opened by Bishop McGuinness on 15 December 1993.
The building occupies a roughly triangular site, and the church is triangular in plan, fitted into the southern boundary of the site. It is a low, barn-like structure with a spreading shallow pitched pantile roof, with a glazed central gablet admitting top light. The walls are clad in red brick, with a yellowish band around the windows and under the eaves. Inside the altar is at the apex of the triangle, leading the eye in and making this the focus of the interior. The sanctuary is capable of being closed off by means of a folded screen, so allowing the main body of the nave to be used for secular activities. The internal walls are of fair faced brick and the pine boarded roof is supported by three Douglas fir queen post trusses. The seating consists of individual upholstered chairs and the joinery is all of pine.
Architect: Marshall Architects of Nottingham
Original Date: 1993
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed