Queen’s Road, Hull, East Yorkshire
Newland is a suburb approximately two miles north of the city centre.PearsonPark,Hull’s first public park, was opened in 1862 and was a stimulus to middle-class villa development in the area. Mass was being said for the people of Newland from 1896 and the parish of St Vincent was established in 1903 with the building of a school and chapel on Queen’s Road, designed by Brodrick, Lowther & Walker. The chapel was in an upper room, later used as a school hall. The new church opened in 1933 and cost £9,000 to build.
Built of thin red bricks with Roman tile roofs. The list description refers to Romanesque style but this might be better described as Early Christian or Byzantine style. The listing is a relatively recent one and the description is accurate and comprehensive. The 1930s communion rails of intersecting circles have been adapted and placed in front of the first row of pews. This work was done as part of the 1983 re-ordering, when the altar was brought forward and the font moved to its present position (the baptistery becameSt Vincent’s Chapel). The Reader’s Lectern was made from the former tabernacle door (upper panel) and the letters from the communion rail gates. The 1930s wood carving is by Ernest Pickering, described as ‘Hull’s leading wood-carver’ of the time.
Roman Catholic Church. 1932. By Jopling & Wright. Brick with
brick dressings and pantile roofs. Romanesque style. Nave with
clerestorey and chancel under continuous roof, aisles with
internal chapels, porches, vestry, campanile to south-west.
Clerestorey has 7 round-headed windows on each side. Eastern
apse has dentillated eaves cornice and on either side, a
narrow flat-headed window. West end has a tall rebated
round-arched recess with a stained-glass window. Below it, a
shallow gabled porch with a pair of composite columns. Round
arched recess with a pair of panelled glazed doors with metal
grilles, and above the enriched lintel, a coat of arms in the
tympanum. Beyond, on either side, a small flat-headed window.
In the left return angle, a half-round stair turret with slit
South aisle, linked to campanile by coped porch, has cogged
eaves and coped parapet. Single window at the west end and 2
smaller windows at the east end. South side has 4 windows to
right of the campanile. Porch has to west a round-arched pair
of doors with a metal grilled overlight. Above it, a square
latticed window. North aisle has 5 windows to north and 2
small windows to east.
Vestry, to south-east, has a gable stack. South gable has a
round-arched recess with 2 windows, flanked by single windows.
East side has a Venetian window. West side has a moulded
round-arched doorway and to right, a single window.
Square campanile, 4 stages, has a single flat-headed window on
each side to the lower stages. Rebated corners with corbelled
turrets at the top of the third stage. Corniced octagonal bell
stage has ribbed corners and 4 double bell openings with
central shaft. Set back canted roof topped with a cross.
INTERIOR has moulded arches without piers to single bay
chancel and to half-domed apse. 5-bay arcades with round
ashlar piers and cushion capitals, and moulded brick round
arches with linked hoodmoulds. Painted sill band to
clerestorey. Painted waggon roof on corbels to nave and
chancel. West end has a rebated round arch containing the
organ and spanned by a bow-fronted gallery. Below, a central
pair of glazed doors, flanked by 3 glazed doors to the
Aisles have strutted lean-to roofs and windows with patterned
stained glass. South aisle has Lady Chapel to east, with altar
flanked by stained-glass windows, and a squint into the
chancel. To south-east, a round-arched doorway. Chapel of St
Vincent at west end has a wooden altar with figure and a
stained-glass war memorial window. North aisle has similar
Sacred Heart chapel to east, with altar flanked by
Fittings include an eggcup font on a cruciform stand, panelled
wooden lectern and wooden benches with shaped ends.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and The East
Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 283; St Vincent’s Church (Golden
Jubilee history): Norton, S: Hull: 1983-).
Original Date: 1932
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: II