Ince Green Lane, Ince, Wigan WN2
The mission was established in 1873 and the present church built in 1908 from designs by Matthew Honan. Honan’s drawings survive in the diocesan archives. A note on one of them states that the church was designed to seat 500 and that the estimated contract cost was £3,115. Old photographs also show a parish hall or school to the southwest of the church, no longer extant.
Red brick church (diapered on the west front) in lancet Gothic style, under a slate roof. The entrance is in the main west front , above which are triple stepped lancets and a bellcote. At the southwest corner a polygonal stair turret, giving access to a western choir gallery. The two western bays of the nave are aisles, and have paired window openings in each bay, the bays marked by stepped buttresses. The three eastern bays of the nave are aisled, with a single storey outer ‘aisle’ originally containing confessionals, a corridor and WC. Sanctuary with the usual flanking chapels, sacristies etc behind.
It has not been possible to gain access to the interior. Early photographs show a wide nave with an arch braced roof, and arcading to the aisles carried on polygonal piers.
Architect: Matthew Honan
Original Date: 1908
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed