Clipstone Road West, Forest Town, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire NG19
In 1956 a former Methodist chapel or hall in Clipstone Road was acquired for Catholic use, with a view to redeveloping the site with a purpose-built church and presbytery. Forest Town was made a separate parish in 1958 and the presbytery was completed in August 1964 at a cost of £9905, from designs by Cecil Hewitt and Partners, Nottingham. The present church dates from 1989; the foundation stone was laid by Bishop McGuinness on 11 February of that year, and the Bishop returned to open the completed building on 22 June 1989, only four months later. The name of the architects has not been established, but the building would appear to be the work of Marshall Architects, who built a number of churches in the Mansfield area in the 1980s and 1990s.
The church is a broad hexagon on plan, clad in brick laid in stretcher bond and with an overhanging artificial slate roof which follows the hexagonal form. The ground slopes significantly, allowing the introduction of raked seating inside leading to the lower sanctuary. This is placed centrally, with the seating arranged around it, and with a central alley. The building was built with economy in mind; the internal walls are of painted breezeblocks and the roof structure has light steel trusses. There is some coloured glass in the borders of the sanctuary windows, but no furnishings of great note.
Architect: Marshall Architects (unconfirmed attribution)
Original Date: 1989
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed