Sherwood Drive, New Ollerton, Nottinghamshire NG22
New Ollerton developed as a purpose-built colliery village in the 1920s and the first permanent Catholic church and presbytery were built in 1928-29 (illustrated in the Diocesan Yearbook, figure 1). The architect for this has not been established; the design has similarities with Christ the King, Alfreton, as originally designed (completed in 1927, qv).
The present church was built in 1995 from designs by John Marshall. The church is served from Mansfield (Forest Town).
The main façade is faced in broad alternating bands of yellow and red brick. The angles are canted, and in the southern angle recess is a statue of St Joseph. Central timber hardwood doors, with a four-light window above which rises to the underside of the gabled roof.
The interior is broad and light, with a glulam truss roof rising from timber posts which define a narrow circulation ‘aisle’. In effect the interior is one space. The internal walls are faced in banded brick, a narrow brick band alternating with a broad yellow band. There is a raised skylight over the sanctuary. There are a number of furnishings from the previous church, including one stained glass window.
Architect: Marshall Architects
Original Date: 1995
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed