Lily Lane, Platt Bridge, Wigan WN2
Platt Bridge expanded in the 19th century as a coal mining village. The mission was established in 1893 but the present church dates from 1960.
Tall aisled nave with entrance loggia across the liturgical west front between a northwest tower, and a western extension of the south aisle. At the east end of the church is a shallow sanctuary projection. The walls are all faced with red brick laid in Flemish bond, the pitched nave roof is covered with Welsh slate. The nave is rectangular. At the western end the triple-arched loggia sheltering the main door is set between a rectangular northwest tower which is devoid of ornament apart from a doorway in the west face and a single round-headed window in each face just below roof level. In the western gable of the nave is a single round-headed window. The side aisles have small rectangular windows and flat roofs. Above the aisles the nave has a clerestorey with seven round-headed windows a side. The short sanctuary has three tall thin windows on each side between narrow brick piers; the east wall is blind.
Internally, the concrete portal frame of the building is clearly visible, with the vertical piers inclining to form the principals of the pitched roof. Between the uprights of the frame are low semi-circular arches into the aisles. At the west end of the nave is a gallery, underbuilt to provide a vestibule. At the east end a triangular-headed arch opens to the side-lit sanctuary, whose east wall is lined with timber boarding, against which is a hanging Rood under a canopy. The nave is carpeted throughout, with the original 1960s benches.
Original Date: 1960
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed