La Grande Route de St Clement, Samares, Jersey, Channel Islands
During the Occupation in 1942 a former army hut on land opposite the present church was acquired and made into a chapel. The present church was built largely through the generosity of Frederick William Knight, a parishioner. The foundation stone was laid by Bishop King on 27 September 1948 and the church opened by Bishop King on 20 March 1949.
A parish hall was built in 1955 and a presbytery in 1965. The parish was established in 1968. The church was renovated in 1973-4.
The church consists of a wide nave, short transepts and a short chancel, with Lady Chapel to south and sacristy to north. Rendered masonry construction, concrete tile roofs. The church is designed in a simple Gothic style, with two lancet windows to each bay, the bays marked by short stepped buttresses. Gable end to street with two-light west window over a narthex, brick and glass with a shallow pitched roof, presumably added in 1973-4. The main space of the interior is the wide nave, which has a king-post roof.
The church has a number of furnishings of interest:
Carved granite altar on platform with four tapering outer columns and central block, also tapering, with incised Celtic cross
Granite ambo of three tapering blocks and book rest, with incised Celtic cross
Granite ledge with supports in sanctuary, of less intrinsic interest but part of the ensemble of liturgical fittings
Granite font by west door, with tapering stem and wide bowl, oak cover with carved and painted dove
West window depicting the Adoration of the Magi, 1950, bequeathed by F.W. Knight, benefactor, designer/maker not established
A series of dalle de verre stained glass windows in the nave, said to be by Fr Charles Norris of Buckfast Abbey, depicting the Seven Sacraments, Three Cardinal Virtues etc.
Original Date: 1948
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed