Sandon Road, Stafford, Staffordshire ST16
The church is aligned with the sanctuary to the northwest and the west gable end facing the road; in this description liturgical compass points will be used. The building is constructed in a buff brick laid in Flemish bond, with concrete details, steel windows and a tiled roof to the nave and flat roofs behind parapets to the side aisles and sacristies. The style is a stripped version of Italianate. The plan consists of a four-bay aisled nave, west narthex, gallery and east sanctuary under one roof, with a northwest tower. The sanctuary is expressed by a shallow projection to the east, and the east bay is side-lit by triple semi-circular-headed lancets. The west elevation is plain and flat with a recessed semi-circular-headed central doorway and a circular window and cross above, with no string courses or other decoration. The square tower has narrow recessed full-height panels containing lancets, an upper stage with arched belfry openings to each face, and deep eaves to the pyramidal roof. In the angle between the tower and the west front is a side porch with recessed square-headed doorway with a ramp. The aisles have flat roofs behind plain parapets and are lit by pairs of narrow tall arched windows, the nave has rectangular clerestory windows. The sanctuary has a plain shallow projection to the east to contain the high altar, with rebated corners and brick cross to the blind east face, side-lit by tall lancets. The sacristy is on the northeast corner, and forms the eastern element of a low single-storey projection (for confessionals) all with flat roofs and concrete mullioned windows.
The lofty interior is typical of post-war churches by this architect, with plain plastered walls above a brick dado and plain semi-circular arched arcades, with square columns and moulded capitals. The plaster ceiling is compartmentalised with a grid of recessed panels. The narrow narthex is separated from the nave by a plastered wall with three semi-circular headed arches; the central arch contains panelled double doors, with leaded glass to glazed arched windows either side. The gallery above is behind a full-height semi-circular open plastered arch, with plain balcony front. The floor of the nave and narthex are laid with herringbone parquet, with oak pews. The sanctuary is not separated from the nave spatially, but is expressed by a full-height recessed plastered arch containing the original reredos and segmental canopy. Reordered, the sanctuary has a forward altar in a plain timber design on a carpeted platform with matching sanctuary rails. The original marble high altar is retained against the east wall, on marble steps, with the tabernacle. The side altars are at the east ends of each aisle; the Lady altar has an oak panelled reredos with scrolled pediment. The Lady altar, high altar, steps and Stations of the Cross were gifts provided for the 1953 opening.
The church is located on the northwest side of the main road into Stafford from Leek, set back from the road in spacious grounds. Nineteenth century red brick terraced houses line the south side of the street, with interwar semi-detached houses to the east along Sandon Road. The Sheridan Hall, a small single-storey church for the Christadelphians is immediately to the east of the church grounds, facing the road. St Patrick’s has an attractive setting with well-kept lawns and gardens to the front facing the road, bounded by low brick walls with steel railings, and an entrance with gate piers. To the west of the church is the presbytery of 1926, with the entrance door facing the church across the access drive. The nicely detailed brick dual-purpose school and church of 1930 is to the rear of the church, aligned at right angles to the latter. St Patrick’s primary school is also reached via the rear of the church where there is a car park for staff use.
Not listed. This is one of a large number of comparable post-war designs by E. Bower Norris, and while a building of some quality and good detailing, is not considered to be a candidate for listing. The church and the 1930 hall to the rear may be eligible for a local list.
Original Date: 1951
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed