Southend Road, Stanford-le-Hope, Essex SS17
The Stanford-le-Hope Mission was founded in 1909 and the first church opened in that year and a second in 1913. The second church was built from designs by Fr Benedict Williamson. The parish was erected in 1918. The Williamson church was destroyed by fire in 1991 and replaced by the present church, opened in December 1992.
This is a modern church with walls of white brick with a brown brick band above the rectangular windows and roof coverings of blue tiles. It is a centrally-planned building with a low-pitched pyramidal roof over the main church space and various projections including the square tower at the southwest corner. The tower is open at ground floor level and forms the porch to the main entrance.
The interior has walls of buff brick and a prominent roof structure with laminated timber beams, into which is set a central skylight. Along the west side is a glazed lobby; on the north side are small ancillary spaces. The church space is lit principally from the rectangular windows in the south wall. The sanctuary is a recess in the east wall. All the furnishings appear to be contemporary with the church.
Original Date: 1992
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed