Berrington Road, Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire WR15
In 1936 a six-week mission was held in Tenbury Wells and contact was made with Captain (retired) and Mrs Avery who had set up two missions previously near their home in Ringwood, Hampshire. In 1939 they purchased a house in Tenbury adjacent to a piece of land already owned by the Archdiocese of Birmingham. A stable block was destined to serve as a chapel and the first Mass was celebrated on 6 August 1939. Tenbury was then served from Droitwich. Fundraising for a new church began in earnest in 1964 and Mrs Avery bequeathed her house, the stable chapel and grounds to the Archdiocese. In 1969 the chapel and the house were found to be unsound and were demolished. The present chapel was built in 1973-4 from designs by John Wheatley of Cleobury Mortimer; the builders were Caldicott & Sons of Tenbury Wells. The church initially came under the care of Stourport and is now served from Kidderminster.
The building is of modest but pleasing design and sits well in its locality. It is small, faced with buff bricks and consists of a square worship space to the southwest side of which are attached the entrance porch, WCs, a meeting room and sacristy which are articulated separately from the worship space. The latter has a pyramid slate roof rising to a skylight in the centre. It also has two large four-light windows, one of which gives a fine view overlooking Tenbury Wells.
Inside, the walls are faced with buff brick and the ceilings are lined with tongue and groove boarding. The seating (consisting of individual chairs) and sanctuary area are arranged diagonally across the worship space.
There are no fittings or furnishings which require special mention. At the time of writing it was intended to rehouse here some of the items (including the font) from the recently-closed church at Habberley (qv).
The church lies on the western edges of this attractive historic town in an area of good-quality late twentieth century housing.
The church is not listed and is not considered to be a candidate for listing.
Architect: John Wheatley
Original Date: 1973
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed