Advanced search


Rickmansworth - Our Lady Help of Christians

An attractive early twentieth-century design by Arthur Young, built for a French congregation but thoroughly English in style. The church is prominently sited on a main road leading out of Rickmansworth; it follows local architectural traditions and contributes greatly to the character of the area. The interior has a three-bay arcade and a broad keel-shaped timber roof; its fitting out is of lesser interest, but includes stained glass windows by G. P. Dagrant and Joseph E. Nuttgens.

Read More

Harpenden - Our Lady of Lourdes

A late, refined essay in Perpendicular Gothic by the prolific Catholic architect F. A. Walters. The tower is in the Hertfordshire idiom, being square and short, with a needle spire. Inside, the church is richly furnished from Walters’s designs, with stone carving by Earp & Hobbs and stained glass by Burlison & Grylls, A. A. Orr and others. The church lies within the Harpenden Conservation Area, close to the medieval parish church of St Nicholas.

Read More

Old Hall Green and Puckeridge - St Edmund of Canterbury and English Martyrs

An attractive small rural Gothic Revival church of 1911, replacing a Gothick chapel of 1818. The church was built from designs by Arthur Young as a memorial to Edith Cécile, wife of Arthur Guy Ellis. It contains many furnishings of note, including a fine oak rood screen, and is very little altered.

Read More

Underwood Road - St Anne

A large and impressive early Gothic Revival design by Gilbert Blount, for the Marist Fathers. Ambitious early plans had to be simplified, omitting a tower and transepts. Several historic furnishings survive, as well as parts of a paint scheme by Joseph A. Pippet of 1904. The church, the large presbytery and the presbytery’s garden wall are all listed and make a positive contribution to the Brick Lane and Fournier Street Conservation Area. The church is now home to the Brazilian Chaplaincy.

Read More

Strood - English Martyrs

A large modern church of 1963-64 by Eduardo Dodds, capturing  the mood of the time of the Second Vatican Council. The striking and dramatic copper roof has townscape value. Furnishings of note include coloured glass made by the monks of Buckfast Abbey and unusual Stations of the Cross.

Read More

Minehead - Sacred Heart

A small Gothic Revival church in Early English style, one of several churches in the diocese by Canon A. J. C. Scoles. Externally modest, the church has rich and elaborate sanctuary furnishings and a full set of stained glass windows by Hardman & Co. of Birmingham. The church and the slightly later presbytery make a positive contribution to the conservation area.

Read More

Bristol - St Gerard Majella

A prominent and well-detailed church built by Pugin & Pugin for the Benedictines in 1909, with high quality furnishings and a high degree of completeness.  

Read More

Painswick - Our Lady and St Therese

A building of Tudor origin, later used as a slaughterhouse and from the 1930s as a church. It was remodelled in classical style in the 1950s, providing a pleasing interior redolent of a late Georgian Catholic chapel. The church retains a number of furnishings acquired by Alice Howard, who drove the campaign to build a tasteful place of Catholic worship in Painswick. The stone frontage and elegant cupola make a notable contribution at the heart of the Painswick Conservation Area. 

Read More

Long Eaton - St Francis of Assisi

A modest red brick church of c1930, made noteworthy by a dramatic reordering of 1995, with curved sanctuary dais, axially placed font with sunken pool and artworks of a high order.

Read More

Stroud - Immaculate Conception

A large Gothic Revival church of the 1850s in a Geometrical style of c.1300 by a well-known Catholic architect. It has an impressive, spacious interior with some fine fittings, including a G. F. Bodley organ case.

Read More