Hexham and Newcastle

The Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle has 179 churches (as of 2012). The cathedral is in Newcastle  and is dedicated to St Mary. The Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle was founded on 29 September 1850, and was called the Diocese of Hexham until 1861. It covers the counties of Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, Durham, and the part of Cleveland north of the River Tees.

Whittington – St Mary Immaculate

Church and presbytery form a fine set piece, now within a mature and very attractive garden. The architecturally... Read More

Widdrington – St Joseph

A timber and steel frame multi-functional building of 1964, pleasantly updated internally at the end of the last... Read More

Willington – Our Lady and St Thomas

A large Gothic Revival church of the Edwardian years in a style of c.1300. It is quite conservative in spirit for its... Read More

Windlestone – The Sacred Heart

A former miners’ welfare complex, probably built just before or after the First World War and brought into use by... Read More

Winlaton – St Anne

A well-detailed 1960s church, designed to fit in with its village context while nevertheless remaining distinctively... Read More

Wolsingham – St Thomas of Canterbury

A Gothic Revival church of the 1850s designed by a leading Catholic architect. The planning and motifs employed are... Read More

Wooler – St Ninian

A well massed building taking advantage of its hillside setting and with a somewhat severe architectural character not... Read More

Wrekenton – St Oswald

A handsome stone-built Early English Gothic design of the early twentieth century; not adventurous for its date and... Read More

1 13 14 15