Hexham and Newcastle

The Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle has 179 churches (as of 2012). The cathedral is in Newcastle  and is dedicated to St Mary. The Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle was founded on 29 September 1850, and was called the Diocese of Hexham until 1861. It covers the counties of Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, Durham, and the part of Cleveland north of the River Tees.

Byermoor – Sacred Heart

A small but substantial Victorian Gothic church of the 1870s built to serve a mining community which has now... Read More

Chester-le-Street – St Cuthbert

A good, well-detailed Neo-Romanesque design of the early twentieth century, about which information is surprisingly... Read More

Chopwell – Our Lady of Lourdes

A simple functional modern church building of little architectural interest. The first Catholic church at Chopwell... Read More

Consett – St Patrick

A post-war church in the Early Christian style, designed by local architect Anthony J. Rossi. Several furnishings were... Read More

Consett – St Pius

A small modern church of 2009.  The first church was built in 1954-55, an early design by Anthony Joseph Rossi... Read More

Coundon – St Joseph

A 1930s brick church with a traditional basilican plan. Although not of special architectural interest, it is has... Read More

Cowpen – St Cuthbert

A Gothic Revival design converted from an old cow barn, originally by John Dobson and much altered in the later... Read More

Coxhoe – SS Joseph, Patrick and Cuthbert

A distinctive but nonetheless mainstream design of the 1960s, by a Newcastle architect who built a number of churches... Read More

Cramlington – St Paul

A modern building that fits in well with the surrounding new town estate it was built to serve. The interior is... Read More

Crawcrook – St Agnes

A 1950s brick church in the modern Romanesque manner, with an Italianate tower. The church occupies a prominent site,... Read More

Crook – Our Lady Immaculate and St Cuthbert

A substantial Gothic Revival church of the mid-1850s by E.W. Pugin, with an interior of much beauty. The contemporary... Read More

Cullercoats – St Mary

The church was built in 1970 to serve the expanding population of this part of the North Tyneside conurbation. The... Read More

1 2 3 4 5 15