Leeds

The Diocese of Leeds has 114 churches (as of 2008). The cathedral is in Leeds and is dedicated to St Anne. The Diocese of Leeds was founded on 20 December 1878 out of the former Diocese of Beverley. It consists of the whole of West Yorkshire (with the exception of the parish of Todmorden) together with some parishes in the East Riding, North Yorkshire, Greater Manchester and Lancashire. It is a suffragan diocese in Province of Liverpool, and is subject to the Archdiocese of Liverpool.

Bradford – St Patrick

The second Catholic church to be built in Bradford, and the oldest one still in use. With the associated convent and... Read More

Bradford – St Theresa and St Winefride

A striking 1970s church with impressive interior special qualities and many furnishings designed for the... Read More

Bradford – St William

This inner city church is an important local landmark, built in a stripped Gothic style. The interior retains its... Read More

Bradford- St Anthony of Padua

An interesting Post War church by a firm of architects who specialised in Catholic churches. Not however nationally... Read More

Brighouse – St Joseph

Example of a once fairly common building type, the combined church and school. Originally designed by Edward Simpson... Read More

Burley-in-Wharfedale – St John Fisher and St Thomas More

A modest inter-war church in the Early Christian style, with a light, Arts and Crafts-influenced interior. The church... Read More

Carlton – St Mary

A modest, but well-executed early work of the prominent Yorkshire architect M.E. Hadfield, containing good quality... Read More

Castleford – St Joseph

A rather old fashioned building for 1890, with a traditional aisled plan and little embellishment. The post-Vatican II... Read More

Cleckheaton – St Paul

A modest red brick church by J. H. Langtry-Langton in a  simplified version of the Romanesque style. The parish... Read More

Clifford – St Edward King and Confessor

An outstanding church of striking neo-Norman design. Inspired in some respects by Durham Cathedral, designed by Joseph... Read More

Cross Hills, Silsden – St Joseph

A very modest 1920s church of no architectural or artistic importance. Fr (later Canon) Joseph Russell was the... Read More

Dewsbury – Our Lady and St Paulinus

A handsome and dramatically-sited Gothic Revival church by E. W. Pugin, with some good furnishings. Mass was first... Read More

1 2 3 4 5 10