Plymouth

The Diocese of Plymouth has 103 churches (as of 2009). The cathedral is in Plymouth and is dedicated to St Mary and St Boniface. The Diocese of Plymouth was founded on 29 September 1850. It contains the counties of Dorset, Devon and Cornwall, along with the Isles of Scilly. It is a suffragan diocese in Province of Southwark, and is subject to the Archdiocese of Southwark.

Exeter – Blessed Sacrament

An interesting and highly inventive inter-war church, apparently designed by Fr Tymons, parish priest of the time,... Read More

Exeter – Holy Cross

Small inter-war astylar red brick church, built largely at the expense of the original parish priest, from designs of... Read More

Exeter – Sacred Heart

The church has considerable architectural interest as the earliest surviving work by the architect Leonard Stokes. ... Read More

Exmouth – Holy Ghost

A substantial church by Scoles and Raymond, who built widely in the Diocese.  The interior has considerable... Read More

Falmouth – St Mary Immaculate

A highly successful fusion of French Gothic and Burgundian Romanesque styles by Joseph Hansom and his son. The tower... Read More

Gillingham -St Benedict

Although of earlier origins this is essentially a structure of 1930 and of no particular architectural distinction. In... Read More

Grove, Portland – Our Lady and St Andrew

A modest Victorian church with a façade of some character and a plain and altered interior, by the noted Catholic... Read More

Hartland – Our Lady and St Nectan

A simple modern prefabricated timber structure of limited architectural interest. For some years after the war... Read More

Hayle – St Joseph

A modest Baptist chapel of c1870, adapted for Catholic use in 1958. The church retains some of its original fittings,... Read More

Helston – St Mary

Post-war church, one of three built in the Diocese by the Falmouth-based architect Waldo Maitland. The building is... Read More

Ilfracombe – Our Lady Star of the Sea

Simple Gothic Revival church of the 1890s, with respectful early 20th" century additions, replacing a small chapel... Read More

Kingsbridge – Sacred Heart

Former Quaker Meeting House retaining part of its old burial ground, acquired for Catholic use in 1902 and much... Read More

1 2 3 4 5 9