Portsmouth

The Diocese of Portsmouth has 116 churches (as of 2007). The cathedral is in Portsmouth and is dedicated to St John the Evangelist. The Diocese of Portsmouth encompasses the counties of Hampshire, Berkshire (south of the Thames), Oxfordshire (south of the Thames), Dorset (the Bournemouth area), the Isle of Wight and the Channel Islands.

Bournemouth – Sacred Heart

The first Catholic church to be built in Bournemouth. The original church and presbytery were designed by Henry... Read More

Bournemouth – St Thomas More

The church has some interest, principally for its interior, but is not a building of great architectural or historic... Read More

Bournemouth – The Annunciation

The first independent work of architecture by [Sir] Giles Gilbert Scott, the architect of Liverpool Anglican... Read More

Bracknell – St Joseph

The church is a good example of church-building ideas around 1960 and was influenced by the architect’s visit to... Read More

Brockenhurst – St Anne

The church has some architectural interest as a simple example of the round-arched style which flourished in the first... Read More

Buckland and Faringdon – Blessed Hugh Faringdon

Attractive early-mid chapel, built for Nonconformist use, un-archaeologically Gothic with some hybrid classical... Read More

Chandlers Ford – St Edward the Confessor

The original church is an attractive essay in the Arts & Crafts tradition, by W.H. Randoll Blacking, a pupil of Sir... Read More

Christchurch – Immaculate Conception

Modest single-cell Gothic Revival structure of the 1860s, now no longer used for worship. The building makes a... Read More

Crowthorne and Sandhurst – Immaculate Conception

A relatively modest structure in buff brick. The church has a typical layout for its time - a rectangular worship area... Read More

Crowthorne and Sandhurst – Holy Ghost

A buff-brick church with a certain amount of distinction both internally and externally. The elevation to the road is... Read More

Didcot – English Martyrs

1960s building. Mass was said at the military camp at Didcot from 1915, and from 1926 this was served from East... Read More

East Cowes – St David

The church is one of three Post-War churches in the diocese designed by C.A.F. Sheppard of Ryde. A pleasant building... Read More

1 2 3 4 10