Southwark

The Archdiocese of Southwark has 181 churches (as of 2009). The cathedral is in Southwark, London, and is dedicated to St George. The Diocese of Southwarkwas founded in 1850, being elevated to become an archdiocese in 1965. It encompasses the areas of the London Boroughs south of the River Thames, the whole county of Kent and the Medway unitary authority.

Beckenham – St Edmund of Canterbury

A large late Gothic Revival church of the 1930s by J. O’Hanlon Hughes, who   also  designed  the  furnishings... Read More

Beckenham Hill and Bellingham – The Annunciation and St Augustine

A centrally-planned circular building of the 1960s, displaying the influence of the competition-winning design by... Read More

Benenden – Catholic Chapel

A charmingly modest ‘colonial’ style chapel built in the 1930s by Messrs Colt, a local firm specialising in... Read More

Bermondsey – Our Lady of La Salette and St Joseph

A modest brick church built in the 1860s to serve a poor and mainly Irish congregation. With their polychromatic brick... Read More

Bermondsey South – St Gertrude

One of a large number of utilitarian church designs built in the early 20th  century under the patronage of Miss... Read More

Bexley – St John Fisher

A modern church of 1974-75, on a central plan. It is located in the Old Bexley conservation area. In 1934 Fr... Read More

Bexleyheath – St John Vianney

A flint-faced church of 1958-59 in a muted late Gothic Revival style, very conservative for its date. The church makes... Read More

Biggin Hill – St Theresa of the Infant Jesus

A  small  church  built  in  1930,  initially  as  a  parish  hall  and  later converted and extended. It... Read More

Birchington – Our Lady and St Benedict

A 1950s building in an Italian Romanesque style, mostly built by voluntary labour. The original roof concealed behind... Read More

Blackfen – Our Lady of the Rosary

A plain tall church of 1936-37, extended in the 1960s. The Lady altar consists of salvaged marble parts from the... Read More

Blackheath – Our Lady Help of Christians

A typical late Gothic Revival church of 1890-1891 by A. E. Purdie. It replaced an orphanage chapel which had moved to... Read More

Borough – Precious Blood

A handsome essay in neo-Romanesque by F.A. Walters, achieving grandeur in the face of economy. The church has some... Read More

1 2 3 4 18