10 Broadgate, Beeston, Nottingham NG9 2HF
Late 19th century semi-detached house of some architectural quality, but unsympathetically altered and poorly maintained.
Broadgate was part of the Nottingham to Sawley turnpike, and is documented as early as 1341. However, most of the development along the street is of late 19th or 20th century date. With no. 8 Broadgate, Newman House is one half of a semi-detached pair of houses which appear to date from about 1890. It is now the Chaplaincy House of the Nottingham University Catholic Chaplaincy.
The building forms one half of a red brick and stucco semi-detached pair, consisting of two storeys and an attic. There is a central arched entrance with recessed porch, belonging to no.8. The entrance to Newman House is via an original 6- panelled door with rectangular fanlight to the left of the two storey bay window which dominates the centre of the front elevation. The bays and the flank elevation have been rendered, and the original sash windows replaced with PVCu. Stone mullioned attic windows in a mansard roof, covered in slate. There is a stuccoed side addition with a hipped slate roof. Ceramic decoration around the bay parapet and below the cornice adds an attractive decorative touch.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1890
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed