Home Park Avenue, Peverell, Plymouth, Devon
An early twentieth century church and presbytery, the former considerably enlarged in Classical style in the 1930s. The building occupies a prominent semi-island site and while the exterior is rather severe, the interior is of real quality.
The original church (the north aisle of the present building) and presbytery were built in 1910-11 from designs by Scoles & Raymond. The building was greatly enlarged in 1933-4 from designs by W. C. Mangan. The church was consecrated on 6 June 1949.
Church in Classical style built in 1910 and considerably enlarged in 1935. Severe roughcast screen west front with central doorway, arched window (renewed in uPVC) and pedimented gable over. Behind this, nave and aisles with continuous slate roofs, arched windows and smooth plastered and painted walls. Blind window in east wall of chancel, with inset cross.
Inside, a western timber lobby contains a stone plaque records the building, extension and consecration of the church. This lobby leads into the wide nave, of four bays with shallow vaulted ceiling and arcade of Doric columns on high square bases. Flat compartmented ceilings to the aisles. Narrower, square-ended chancel, also with shallow vaulted ceiling. Round-arched windows with metal subdivisions and clear glass; blind openings on north side where church abuts the presbytery. The colour scheme belongs to a redecoration scheme of c2001. Archway at east end of north aisle to Blessed Sacrament chapel, part of the original church. Lady Altar at east end of south aisle, with carved wooden statue of Madonna and Child by David John (information from Fr Hahesy). Crucifix set into a rectangular panel against the east wall, presidential seating below and simple marble forward altar supported in piers in front of this. Modern quarry tiled floor to the sanctuary. Earlier and grander multicoloured marble altar to the Blessed Sacrament chapel. There is a good set of carved wooden Stations of the Cross in the aisles. At the west end of the north aisle is a late nineteenth century organ built by Henry Bryceson of London, rebuilt by Hele and Co., Plymouth. Polished screed floor and plain pine pews in the nave. A pedimented doorway leads to the presbytery.
Architect: Scoles & Raymond, W.C. Mangan
Original Date: 1911
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed