Clumber Road, Poynton, Stockport, SK12
A church converted from a former cinema, occupying a corner site.There are no significant features or fixtures relating to the former cinema, and the interior has been converted in a simple straightforward manner.
Mass was said in a café in Poynton from the late 1930s, when it was part of Hazel Grove parish. In 1920 Fr Kelly bought the 1922 Picture House and adapted it for a hall and chapel. Poynton became an independent parish in 1957. In 1965, the area used for the church was expanded to include the hall, and the Lady Chapel and sacristies were added.
The building is of brick, with post-war rebuilding and some added windows and openings. It is splayed to the street corner and a low parapet has been fitted with a cross finial. Inside there is a narthex or lobby with a toilet and stairs to a meeting room/café in what was probably the projection room. The main body of the building is simply appointed with a suspended ceiling. A Lady Chapel occupies a recess on the (liturgical) south side. The sanctuary has been formed by building sacristies forward on each side, and there is a canopy with a crucifix beneath. The forward altar and ambo are of green and white marble; there is a small timber font. Bench seating is of a standard type and appears to be of mid-twentieth century date or earlier; it is probably imported.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1922
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed