Building » Storrington – Our Lady of England Priory

Storrington – Our Lady of England Priory

School Lane, Storrington, west Sussex RH20 4LN

A fine Edwardian church built by exiled French Norbertines with the support of the Duke of Norfolk and other benefactors. The church groups well with the priory buildings adjoining.

A Premonstratensian (Norbertine) priory and school was opened in 1888 by a community of canons expelled from France in 1882. The land for the present church was given by Henry Fitzalan-Howard, fifteenth Duke of Norfolk. The foundation stone was laid in 1902 by Bishop Bourne of Southwark, and the church, costing about £6,000, opened on St Cecilia’s day, November 1904. The architect was Edward Goldie and the contractor a Mr Goddard. The Tablet wrote (3 December 1904), ‘The church is in the Early English style, treated with much feeling, and possessing many touches of individuality which place it above a mere imitation of ancient work. The plan is a broad nave, lit from the clerestory, the windows being above six side-chapels, which will prove charming with their pointed barrel roofs in stone on stone-ribs. Only one chapel is as yet completed. The sanctuary is imposing with its richly groined roof and elevated altar. The organ will be at the west end, the jubé being in course of construction’.

Edward Goldie (1856-1921) was articled to his father, George Goldie (1828-1887), and was in partnership with him from 1880 until his father’s death. The practice was called Goldie, Child & Goldie. Edward Goldie practiced on his own from 1893, until joined by his eldest son Joseph (1882-1953) in 1913. Probably Edward’s best-known work is St James’s Spanish Place, in London. In Sussex he also designed St George’s Retreat in Burgess Hill (1905-6) and the Priory of Our Lady of Good Counsel at Haywards Heath (1890-7) as well as the priory at Storrington (1904) and St John the Evangelist, Horsham (1919-23). Edward in turn took his son Joseph into partnership and Joseph continued the practice after his father’s death in 1921. The firm continued as Edward Goldie & Son until it was wound up in 1953.

The community dedicated itself to the conversion of England. In 1906, a statue of Our Lady of England by Ferdinand Stuflesser was placed behind the high altar, and in 1919, a full-circle ring of bells was installed. A shrine to Our Lady of England was also set up in the priory gardens.

The Norbertine community withdrew in 2010. More recently the priory has been used as a retreat centre by the Chemin Neuf Community, who in 2026 gave notice of their intended departure.

Description

A brick church with stone dressings. A northwest tower stands forward of the church and was never completed, having a temporary bell stage. The broad nave has five stepped lancets under a single arch to the west and closely spaced two-light plate traceried clerestorey windows to the north and south. Polygonal chancel with lancet windows. A north chapel and north porch are now linked by a two-bay addition in a somewhat demeaning gothic.

The interior is light and spacious, with the monks’ stalls arranged around the apse. In a recess behind the high altar is a large polychrome statue of the Virgin and Child (‘Our Lady of England’) by Ferdinand Stuflesser. Otherwise, the simple fittings are probably by Goldie. A painted triptych of 1959 by David O’Connell (1895-1976) hangs on the nave north wall. The cloister to the south and two principle monastic ranges on the west and south sides probably date from 1888.

Entry amended by AHP 13.08.2026

Heritage Details

Architect: Edward Goldie

Original Date: 1904

Conservation Area: Yes

Listed Grade: Not Listed