The Diocese of Hexham was founded on 29 September 1850, becoming the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle in 1861. Today it covers the counties of Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, Durham, and the part of Cleveland north of the River Tees. The cathedral is in Newcastle, and is dedicated to St Mary. 179 churches were visited for Taking Stock (2012).
The cathedral church of the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle, built from designs by A. W. Pugin as a ‘large... Read More