Cardiff

The Archdiocese of Cardiff was created in 1916 out of the former Diocese of Newport. It has eight deaneries covering Cardiff, the Welsh valleys, Bridgend, Newport, North Gwent and Pontypridd. It also includes the English county of Herefordshire (Hereford deanery). The cathedral is in Cardiff and is dedicated to St David. 78 churches were visited for Taking Stock (concluded in June 2019).

+Cardiff – Metropolitan Cathedral Church of St David

A large town church by Pugin & Pugin, elevated to cathedral status in 1920. The building was badly damaged by... Read More

Abercynon – St Thomas

A functional structure built as a dual-purpose church and hall during the Great Depression, overlooking the confluence... Read More

Aberdare – St Joseph

An untypically neo-Romanesque design of the 1860s by Benjamin Bucknall, which together with its contemporary... Read More

Abergavenny – Our Lady and St Michael

Abergavenny remained an important Catholic centre during the penal years. The present church was built by the... Read More

Aberkenfig – St Robert of Newminster

A stone-built chapel of plain Gothic design, built in 1879 by the Benedictines as a combined school and chapel-of-ease... Read More

Abertillery – St Mary

A Capuchin foundation, this modest nineteenth century church built of sandstone and granite was constructed in 1875-6.... Read More

Bargoed – St Peter (on the Graig)

An early twentieth century nonconformist chapel on a sloping corner site, acquired for Catholic use in 1915 and... Read More

Barry – St Helen

A plain stone-fronted Gothic church of the early twentieth century, built to cater for the largely Irish Catholic... Read More

Blaenavon – Sacred Heart and St Felix

A modest school-chapel established in 1868 by the Capuchin Franciscans, who ministered in the Cwmbran district at that... Read More

Bridgend – St Mary

A modern church of distinctive character and quality, incorporating materials and furnishings from the predecessor... Read More

Bromyard – St Joseph

A plain but well-detailed design of the 1950s, making a modest contribution to the local conservation area. The... Read More

Brynmawr – St Mary

A modest brick building of 1863, constructed as a combined church and school, the latter now a parish hall. The... Read More

1 2 3 7