High Street, New Town, Uckfield, East Sussex TN22 5DJ
An unusual church built by the parish priest and his congregation. The architecture is not distinguished and is let down by having been built to a low budget, ending up as a somewhat austere and utilitarian hall into which has been placed some fittings of fine craftsmanship that give the church its atmosphere.
The main structure is an exposed pre-cast concrete frame, the walls clad in reconstituted Cotswold stone, irregularly coursed, and the roof in aluminium sheeting. The plan is a broad rectangle, with western narthex, porch and northwest tower, and chapels and sacristy to the east and with the priest’s house attached beyond. The exposed frame internally gives a somewhat utilitarian or industrial feel. It is interesting to note that the framework was indeed provided by Messrs. Atcost, best known for agricultural buildings.
The three altars and, outside, the statue of Our Lady above the entrance are by Joseph Cribb of the Guild of St Joseph at Ditchling. The three large panels on the wall behind the altar were painted by Edgar Holloway, and the lettering was done by Alan Taylor, both connected with the Guild of St Joseph. Stained glass by Aleksander Klecki.
Architect: Rev. Cyril P Plummer
Original Date: 1958
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed