Belle Vue Road, North Town, Aldershot, Hants
Basilican design, no doubt very old-fashioned for its date. However, the interior is light and elegant.
In 1911 the tin church from St Joseph’s was moved and used as a Mass centre. H. Bingham Towner was commissioned to design the new church in 1961. The church was opened in March 1963 by Archbishop King. It cost £28,800 and seats 330.
The church is a brick-built basilica with stone dressings to the windows and entrance door. There are three-light clear glass windows in the four bay aisles, and six three-light clear glass windows in the clerestory. The west front has a large three-light window which illuminates the west gallery. The entrance vestibule has two single light windows in the sides. The interior consists of a nave and two aisles, the latter being single height. Shallow segmental arches spanning between columns with square cushion capitals. The interior is spacious and well-lit, with wooden pews in the nave and chairs in the aisles. The altar is of marble.
Architect: H. Bingham Towner
Original Date: 1963
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed