Heath Road, Mather Avenue, Allerton, Liverpool 19
An attractive 1930s church, influenced by the work of the architects Bernard Miller and F. X. Velarde. Whilst not listable under current criteria, the building has local significance and acts as a landmark within the area.
Built as a chapel of ease to St Francis, Garston.
St Bernadette’s is a Basilican church of 1935-36 in a moderne Romanesque style, designed by F. Reynolds of Hill, Sandy and Norris. It is built of brown brick with a tiled roof and white painted round headed timber windows. The gabled west front has a central doorway and above that a carved stone relief of the vision of St Bernadette. A tall campanile rises above the south porch.
The simple interior is long and narrow, and consists of a 5 bay nave with aisle passages set behind a semi-circular headed arcade and a clerestory. The wall surfaces are roughly plastered throughout, and the ceiling is timber boarded with exposed king post trusses below. Projecting out from a shallow recess at the east end is a baldacchino set on coppered columns with carved timber capitals. The stone altar has been brought forward. There are two side chapels, and over the sanctuary is a carved wooden crucifix. In the Lady Chapel is a small bronze statue of the Virgin by Arthur Dooley. The pews are contemporary with the church. At the west end is a shallow narthex with an organ loft above. At the northwest corner a baptistery projects from the main vessel of the church and contains a brick font.
Original Date: 1935
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed