Lawton Road, Alsager, Cheshire ST7
A modest building by F. X. Velarde, given interest and some distinction by individual touches such as the window mullion mouldings and the carved altar frontal. The interior has been somewhat marred by a suspended ceiling in the nave, but retains furnishings of note, probably by Herbert Tyson Smith.
Services were held in a variety of temporary locations until the church was built in 1953-5. The architect was F. X. Velarde and the contractors Tysons of Liverpool. Alsager became a parish a few years later in 1958.
A very simple building of brick, with details such as the buttresses and the grouping of the round-arched lancets lending individuality. Window mullions are of moulded concrete with figures of saints, etc., but these are abraded. The interior is equally simple, with a pointed brick arch dividing the sanctuary from the nave. The altar front incorporates a carving of the Angel of Agony proffering a chalice and is identical to that at Velarde’s English Martyrs, Wallasey (q.v.) by Herbert Tyson Smith who must also have designed the crucifix and Stations of the Cross here. Simple bench seating is probably original. There is a suspended ceiling .
Architect: F. X. Velarde
Original Date: 1955
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed