Garths Head Road, Appleby CA16 6UA
A modest post-war design with a saddleback tower.
The church was built in 1958 from designs by N. M. Phillips of Workington (Catholic Building Review, 1959). The present presbytery was built in c1980.
The church is cruciform in plan and built of dark red brick, with pitched slate roofs. The nave and sanctuary are a single volume, with the latter pointing approximately south east. The church has two transepts, one of which is used as a sacristy. This has a c1960s, single-storey link to the neighbouring presbytery. The east transept is a side chapel. At the north end of the nave is a slim tower with a copper-clad saddleback roof, marking the entrance to the church. The windows are of metal-framed plain glass, and are well-maintained.
The interior has a shallow segmental-vaulted plastered, painted ceiling, with plastered and painted walls. There is a shallow parabolic arched recess behind the altar containing a crucifix. Furnishing is simple – Stations of the Cross on the nave wall and a modern altar table. There are oak pews and a wooden parquet floor.
Entry revised by AHP 17.12.2020
Architect: N. M. Phillips
Original Date: 1958
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed