Keswick Lane, Bardsey, West Yorkshire
An attractive small inter-War chapel of ease built in a simple Arts and Crafts style, the interior appearance marred by the suspended ceiling.
The church was built in 1934 as a chapel of ease to Sicklinghall. The Diocesan Directory gives the architect as Stephen Simpson. Bardsey became part of the parish of Wetherby in 1942.
Small, simple coursed sandstone building with Welsh blue slate roof. Plain, stripped down Arts and Crafts style, almost domestic in character. Main elevation to street is the gable end of the rectangular building with to the left a single storey stone porch with simple carved stone hoodmould over the main wooden door. Triple light stone mullioned window with small panes of frosted clear glass. The gable is surmounted by a small carved stone cross. South flank elevation punctuated by three sets of two- light windows, again with stone mullions and dressings and similar small panes. At the rear of the north elevation a small porch to the sacristy.
Internally the church has a simple rectangular plan form. A modern suspended ceiling has been inserted, with office-style lighting. The walls are whitewashed with the stone window dressings revealed. The Sanctuary is raised up by a single step with a carved wooden altar of restrained Gothic Revival design. The simple wooden pews are of a similar date and appear to date from the building of the chapel.
Architect: Stephen Simpson
Original Date: 1934
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed