Michaelson Road, Barrow Island, Barrow-in-Furness LA14 2RJ.
A plain Gothic design, old-fashioned for its date. The significance lies more in the location, at the heart of the historic shipyard development, close to listed tenement and other shipyard structures. This has been designated a conservation area.
A parish was established on Barrow Island in 1895 and a tin church built in 1901. The presbytery (Vickers House) of c.1890 was acquired in 1924. The tin church was replaced by the present church, which was built in 1932-3. According to the Tablet (16 July 1932) ‘owing to the kindness of Lord Richard Cavendish, and with the leave of the Office of Works, the (foundation) stone was obtained from the ruined materials from Furness Abbey’. The church was radically altered in the 1970s, the interior subdivided to create a worship area at the west end and a social area at the former east end.
Red brick neo-Gothic church, slate roof. Lancet windows, bays divided by pilasters/buttresses. Interior not inspected.
Entry amended by AHP 17.12.2020
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1932
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed