Wickhay, Basildon, Essex SS15
A modern (1980) centrally planned church which forms part of a complex with the small presbytery and slightly earlier hall. The church is currently (2011) being enlarged.
A Mass centre was established in September 1958 and the first resident priest appointed in November of the same year. The parish was erected in 1960 and the first church opened in May 1963. In 1972 a large multi-functional church hall was built, as the first phase of a new parish complex. The parish centre was originally intended to be nearer the town centre, but a change in the road pattern necessitated the allocation to the diocese of the present site. The present church and presbytery were added in 1979-80 from designs by Burles & Newton, the church opening on 31 May 1980. The three buildings are grouped round a small courtyard, open on one side. The church was designed to seat about 300 people.
The church was designed as a low maintenance, low energy building. It is centrally planned with a pyramidal roof covered in artificial slate and external walls of dull red brick. The prominent roof is carried on laminated timber trusses. The building is currently (October 2011) being enlarged and the interior was not accessible at the time of the writer’s visit.
Architect: Burles & Newton
Original Date: 1980
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed