575 Lytham Road, South Shore, Blackpool
Interesting drum-shaped design of the late 1960s.
In 1945 the La Sagesse Sisters acquired property adjacent to 575 Lytham Road and developed a nursing home and hospital. The sisters were encouraged by the parish priest at St Cuthbert’s, South Shore to build a new chapel, for the use of patients and parishioners in the Squire’s Gate area of the parish. Plans were drawn up in 1967 and the new church was opened on 21 November 1968. The original dedication was to St Louis Marie de Montfort, patron of the order.
In 1973 the community moved to St Anne’s-on-Sea and the chapel became the responsibility of St Cuthbert’s parish. The dedication was changed to St Margaret Clitherow, who had been canonised in 1970 as one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales.
Interesting drum shaped design in grey brick with full height glazing around entrance porch and projecting segmental arches running around eaves, recalling the work of Sir Frederick Gibberd. Projecting brick porch, side lit, with round arched entrance. Interior not inspected.
Architect: Not established. Possibly Mackeith and Partners? (C Hartwell)
Original Date: 1968
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed