Peel Road, Bootle, Liverpool 20
The church is of modest architectural interest, but displays fairly advanced liturgical planning for its date and is notable for its dalle de verre stained glass.
St Joan of Arc was established as an independent parish in 1926 (St Joan was canonised in 1920). A temporary wooden church and parish hall were built, and the present brick presbytery added in 1928. The junior and infant schools were built in 1935 and the secondary school in 1938.
The wooden church escaped wartime bombing, although the senior school did not. However in November 1958 it was gutted by fire. The old hall was used as a temporary church while a new parish church and hall were built, from designs by W. Richards, at a cost of £65,000, and completed in 1961.
Buff coloured brick and monopitch sheet metal roof (originally copper). Gable over reinforced concrete and glazed central main entrance reached from semi-circular flight of shallow steps. An entrance area and narthex leads into a single undivided worship space, wedge-shaped in plan. Cantilevered choir gallery over entrance. Seating arranged around a forward altar, raised on a dais. The zigzag boarded roof gradually rises in height towards the shallow recessed sanctuary. The side walls of the latter and the nave are primarily glazed, with one inch thick dalle de verre stained glass. The two chancel windows depict St Joan and Our Lady and were made by Messrs James Powell and Sons (Whitefriars). The cruciform stained glass windows of the nave (set within otherwise clear glazing for reasons of economy) have more abstract representations of the symbols of the Four Evangelists, made by Carl Edwards. The original Italian marble high altar and baldacchino have been removed, along with marble altar rails (except for part surviving at the sides of the dais). The original Italian marble tapered font remains, now located close to the current forward altar.
Architect: W. Richards
Original Date: 1961
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed