Brandon Road, Weeting, Brandon IP27 0PT
A utilitarian design-and-build church of 1976, possibly the first to open in the newly-established Diocese of East Anglia.
A wooden church was built at Brandon in 1923, served from Thetford. It was replaced by the present church in 1976, a design-and-build construction by Derek W. Hammond (Construction) Ltd of Brandon, costing about £25,000 and opened that year by Bishop Alan Clark, the newly-appointed first Bishop of East Anglia.
The building is a functional design, longitudinal on plan, faced in pale grey brick and with a pantile roof. The windows consist of grouped triple lancets. A wooden cross on the exterior is put together from material from the previous church. The interior has not been inspected, but a photograph on the Suffolk Churches website shows bare brick walls, a flat ceiling and simple modern furnishings. A small pipe organ was brought from the Catholic church at Oundle.
Architect: Derek W. Hammond (Construction) Ltd
Original Date: 1976
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed