Mount Street, Winshill, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire DE15
The church occupies the former Winshill Institute, a late nineteenth century building of some local historical interest.
The Winshill Institute was opened in 1888. Money for the building was raised by subscription, and the Institute was used by various freemasons’ lodges and probably for other social purposes. It was acquired by the Diocese of Nottingham in 1967. A short rear extension was added, and late on a long metal ramp for disabled access.
The building is of red brick with a symmetrical frontage of stripped Gothic design. The principal entrance is at first floor level, reached by a long flight of steps from the street. A statue of St Joseph and a simple cross have been added at some point after 1967. The building consists of a large space at first floor level used as the church, with a spacious hall and ancillary toilet and kitchen facilities at ground level. A metal ramp extends from the frontage to the rear of the building where there is an entrance in a small brick extension, probably built to provide a sanctuary. Furnishings are all of simple modern character. There are two brightly coloured stained glass windows.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1888
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed