Main Street, Stapenhill, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire DE15
A former Methodist chapel standing on a locally prominent site. Of standard design for the date (1907), the building is not of special architectural or historic interest, but contributes to the historic character of the area and is outwardly little-altered.
*Update: The church closed in 2018*
The Wesleyan Methodist Reform Movement became active in the area in the 1850s and built chapels in 1855 and 1868, replaced by the present building in 1907. Services ceased in 1971 and the building was taken over by the Catholic Church in 1972. A small extension was added to the (liturgical) southeast side, probably in the 1970s or 1980s. At the same time two windows on this side were blocked. Original furnishings were largely removed at this or a later date, and the entrance and foyer area has been altered to incorporate toilets.
The church is of typical design for a Methodist chapel of the date, of red brick with stone dressings. The principal (liturgical) west front is flanked by short pinnacles, and is symmetrical with a central doorway and a large traceried window of free Decorated character. Other windows are simple lancets. The interior has been stripped of the original furnishings. There is a decorative arch-braced timber roof with wheel motifs braced by tie-rods. The stained glass with simple floral designs is typical for the date and original denomination. Simple modern furnishings probably date from the 1970s or 1980s.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1907
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed