Terrace Road, Buxton, Derbyshire SK17
This Gothic Revival church of 1861 is a late work of the notable Catholic architect J. J. Scoles. Part of a group of Victorian parish buildings, the medium-sized town church is a significant feature in Buxton conservation area. The interior is notable for some good quality fittings from the late 19th century including the sanctuary reredos and pulpit.
A mission to Buxton was established by Fr Farrell from Leek in 1845 at a house on West Street, and Mass was said in a house on Scarsdale Place from 1852. St Ann’s church was built by Fr McGreevy in 1860-61 on land bought from the Duke of Devonshire. Bishop Roskell attended the opening Mass in 1861. The church was re- ordered with new fittings in the 1890s by Fr Hoeben who added the sanctuary and bellcote in about 1900, the latter given by the Duke of Norfolk. The sanctuary was re- ordered in the late 20th century, retaining some east wall features. In 1980 the sacristy roof and organ loft was removed as part of a scheme to extend the presbytery.
The church is designed in Early English Gothic style with lancet windows and steeply pitched slate roof, the sandstone was from Reeve Edge. The plan consists of a five-bay nave with west bellcote, gabled south porch, north aisle and Lady Chapel, and sanctuary. The east end of the church connects to the sacristy on its south side, via a door in a late 19th century panelled pine and glazed screen, now painted in arts and crafts style. The north aisle is gabled to each bay.
The interior has a north arcade of pointed arches divided into two sections; the three- bay west arcade defines the nave with octagonal piers and a two-bay transept to the east has a cylindrical pier with stiff leaf capital. The nave has a wagon ceiling with exposed rafters and the floor is terrazzo paving with pine boards beneath pine pews.
The west end has a late 20th century light oak organ loft with matching panelling below, in place of a 19th century gallery. The sanctuary is defined by a pointed arch, stepped black and white marble floor and a rose window. Re-ordered and with a modern forward altar, retained historic fittings include a Gothic stone reredos with fine brass tabernacle doors and mural painting, probably part of a gift by the Duke of Norfolk in about 1900. The octagonal stone pulpit with alabaster figures in niches is dated 1896; the simple octagonal font with oak lid may be contemporary. The Lady Chapel has a vaulted plaster ceiling, red tiled floor and Gothic altar with trefoiled panels. The confessionals on the north side of the transept have flush 1960s doors. Varied stained glass in the north aisle dates from the 1890s to the 1920s, with one signed window by Ferdinand of Manchester depicting the Flight into Egypt. The interior probably had a polychrome decorative scheme in the 19th century, and is now painted pastel colours or white.
Architect: J.J. Scoles
Original Date: 1861
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed