Hallcourt Crescent, Cannock, Staffordshire WS11
A plain interwar basilican design by Sandy & Norris, with a simple, dignified interior, but not of special architectural or historical interest.
In 1604 the local population were described as almost all papists, but only five were recorded in 1780. A mission was served from Bloxwich and Rugeley (qqv) in the later nineteenth century. From 1873 Mass was celebrated at Hatherton Hall, residence of Sir Charles Clifford. A school-chapel dedicated to St Mary was opened in John Street in 1878 with a resident priest who continued to serve the chapel at Hatherton Hall. The building was replaced in 1899 by one on Walsall Road dedicated to the Sacred Heart and Our Lady. This was in turn replaced by the present building dedicated to St Mary, designed by Sandy & Norris of Stafford and opened in 1924. The building cost £5,000. It was consecrated in 1971.
All orientations given are liturgical.
The church was built in 1924 from designs by Sandy & Norris. The design of the interior in particular is similar to the architects’ contemporary church at Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent (qv). The building is of lightweight steel construction because mining had created the risk of subsidence in the area. It is clad in brick, with aisles supported by square-section piers, a clerestory and west gallery. There is a porch and a glazed narthex of late twentieth century date at the west end. A forward altar is also of late twentieth century date. The northwest baptistery has been converted to a piety shop and the stone octagonal font brought into the body of the church. There is a large bronze statue of Christ at the west end of the church and the Lady Chapel has a carved relief of the Annunciation in the reredos. A new roof was fitted in 2011.
Architect: Sandy & Norris
Original Date: 1924
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed