Carter Place, Fairwater, CF5 3NP
A functional design of 1980 by F.R. Bates, Son & Price, serving a post-war housing estate.
In 1951 a hut at the corner Plasmawr Road and Pentrebane Road was rented as a Mass centre for a new housing development at Fairwater, served from St Clare, Ely (now closed). The present site in Carter Place was acquired in 1955, with Mass said in a temporary hall structure. In 1979 a presbytery was built, followed by the present church, which seated 300 and was opened and dedicated by Archbishop Murphy of Cardiff on 16 October 1980. The architects were F. R. Bates, Son & Price of Newport, the contractors White Bros & Speed Ltd of Newport. The old church-hall was retained as a parish hall. Today the church is served from St Mary of the Angels, Canton (qv).
The building is steel framed, with an outer skin of brown brick and concrete tile roofs. It is of longitudinal form with a broken pitched roof providing a clerestory on the liturgical west side lighting the sanctuary. The windows are tall thin lancet lights. On the liturgical east side is a projecting Blessed Sacrament chapel under a catslide roof. The building is entered via a link between the church and the parish hall. The interior has not been inspected; a photograph of the sanctuary area from the parish website is above. A number of statues and the tabernacle were probably brought from the previous Mass centre.
Architect: F.R. Bates, Son & Price
Original Date: 1980
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed