Kellet Road, Carnforth LA5 9LR
This is not considered to be a building of special architectural or historic interest, although the interior is an attractive space.
The church replaced an earlier temporary building of 1926. The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Foley in 1966 and the church opened by the Bishop July 30 1967. The architect was WC Mangan of Preston and the contractor Nicholson and Wright of Lancaster.
The church is in a modern Romanesque style. Contemporary with Liverpool RC Cathedral, architecturally it is very old-fashioned for its date. Silver-grey brick with round-arched window openings, roof of interlocking clay tiles and a low SW tower with a shallow pyramidal roof.
However, like Liverpool Cathedral it was liturgically up to date. The interior is Greek Cross in plan, with four arches supported on columns giving onto the central space. The altar is in the eastern arm of the cross. A brochure from the time of the opening states: ‘The requirements of the liturgy have been borne in mind. The altar of Portland stone is freestanding, and the retro-altar for the reservation of the Blessed Sacrament stands higher than the altar’.
There is a small aptistery area at the base of the tower with modern glass by Hardman and Co. The font has now been relocated to the Sanctuary area.
There is a parish hall of 1955 to the north and a modern brick presbytery attached to the rear of the church.
Architect: Wilfred C Mangan of Preston
Original Date: 1966
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed