Highfield Rd, Chertsey, KT16 8BU
The church was built between 1929 and 1930 to the design of Geoffrey Raymond of Scoles and Raymond. Father Alexander Joseph Cory Scoles was the third son of J J Scoles, the founder of an important dynasty of Roman Catholic architects. Raymond was articled to Father (later Canon) Scoles and continued to work with him after he qualified in 1904. The practice was largely concerned with the design of RC churches and schools.
St Anne, Chertsey, stands on the corner of Highfield Road and Eastworth Road, opposite a roundabout. The sturdy buttressed tower and west work were designed to give the church a considerable presence on the street. This is achieved but the design as a whole, though not without merit, seems a little tired. Inside it is the same story, the church is rather dull, though it does contain some interesting fittings. There is good panelling, marble flooring and a pair of elaborately carved reredoses, one in the sanctuary and the other in the south chapel, at the east end of the church. The reredos in the side chapel, which includes painted panels, is especially fine.
St Anne, Chertsey, is a sturdy Gothic Revival church, very conservative in design for its date. Although not very exciting as a building, it does contain a good collection of fittings. In addition to this, standing opposite a small roundabout, it makes an important contribution to the surrounding townscape.
Architect: Geoffrey Raymond
Original Date: 1930
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed