Churchfield Path, off Church Lane, Cheshunt, Hertfordshire EN8
A late nineteenth-century former Anglican church hall, acquired for Catholic use in about 1998.
According to Fr Cowan (current parish priest), the church was built as a parish hall to the Anglican parish church of St Mary, Cheshunt, from which it is now separated by the dual carriageway of the A10. It was acquired for Catholic use in 1998 (Westminster Yearbook, 2011).
A small former parish hall, with attached house. There is a datestone of 1896 in the gable end, facing towards Churchfield Path. The materials are red brick laid in Flemish bond, with pebbledash in the gable, and a plain tile roof. On the ridge there is a pretty cupola/ventilation tower with pyramidal tile roof and decorative iron topknot. Attached brick buttresses are placed at the corners and mark the bay divisions at the sides. Within each of the bay divisions is a large mullion and transom window with cambered gauged brick arch. There is a projecting brick and tile entrance porch on the Churchfield Path elevation, but the main entrance is on the north side, close to the entrance to the attached brick presbytery. The interior is a simple single space, which does not appear to hold any furnishings of historical importance. The glass in the window over the altar (by Goddard & Gibbs) came here in the 1990s from the former convent of Jesus and Mary, Harlesden (information from Chris Fanning).
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1896
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed