Marshside Road, Churchtown, Southport PR9
The building consists of two elements, the original early twentieth century church (now a hall) and a new church added in 1999-2000. The earlier building is a plain brick Gothic design. The newer church mixes modern materials and forms with traditional elements, and is not without architectural quality.
The church was founded through the generosity of an Irish Catholic living in the area, to serve a community of Irish people who had settled in an area described in 1875 as ‘Little Ireland’. It became an independent parish in 1934.
The original church is of hard red brick with stone dressings and adopts a traditional Gothic style with plate tracery windows. A link and a new church, attached at right-angles, broadly follow the original materials. The (liturgical) east end is gabled with overhanging eaves protecting a Crucifixus flanked by tall narrow windows and piers clad in stone. The interior of the original church has been converted to a hall, retaining some stained glass windows. A link between the two buildings provides an entrance and narthex. The new church mixes modern materials and forms with traditional elements, the seating arranged in a semicircle facing an east end with roof timbers of traditional character, and a large mural. The seating is reused from a church in Liverpool. Font, ambo and altar are of Portuguese limestone.
Entry amended by AHP 8.1.2021
Architect: Not established; P. Pozzoni
Original Date: 1912
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed