Queen’s Place, Park Road, Coedpoeth, LL11 3SE
A small late twentieth century church of no special architectural or historic interest.
During the 1930s Mass was celebrated in a wooden hut in Castle Road, Coedpoeth. In 1950 a bombed-out Methodist chapel was repaired for Catholic use, serving the community for fifty years. By the end of the 1980s, the old church had become too small, and TACP architects were commissioned to design a replacement building on a town centre site acquired for the purpose. In 2004 the diocese signed an agreement for the shared use of the building with the local branch of the Salvation Army. The church is served from Wrexham Cathedral.
The church was built in 1991 at a cost of £100,000. It was designed to seat 150, and consists of a rectangular worship space entered from a small vestibule, with a sacristy, confessional, kitchen, WCs and store. It is of loadbearing construction with an outer leaf of brick and plastered internally. The roof is of grey concrete tiles, and an open porch projects from the main entrance, supported on timber posts. Tall narrow windows light the worship space. There are no internal furnishings of particular note.
Architect: John Pugh
Original Date: 1991
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed