Castle Street, Combe Martin, Devon
A small and functional building of the late 1960s, not of special architectural or historical interest.
The date given for the establishment of a Mass centre in the Diocesan Directory is 1945. The church was built in 1968 from designs by Friend, Kelly & Friend (plans in Diocesan archive). The church is a simple structure with loadbearing red brick walls and a shallow-pitched roof with a steep gablet at the west end fronting the street. Central double doors on this front are flanked by wide windows lighting a rectangular entrance lobby. Beyond the lobby is the body of the church, which is slightly angled from the lobby to follow the boundary of the site. The interior is a single space with plain plastered walls, a lino-covered floor and a boarded, shallow-pitched roof. There are single-light clear glazed windows on both sides with two double-light windows behind the altar. Modern bench seating.
Architect: Friend, Kelly & Friend
Original Date: 1968
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed