Essex Avenue, Moorside, Consett, Co. Durham DH8
A small modern church of 2009.
The first church was built in 1954-55, an early design by Anthony Joseph Rossi (1916-71). By 2009, that church was too big for its current congregation and it was demolished and most of the church land sold for housing. The current church was built from designs by John Waugh and opened in July 2009.
The church actually faces north. This description uses conventional liturgical orientation.
The materials are brick in stretcher bond, with a concrete block base and concrete window dressings. The segmentally curved roof is clad in metal. The plan is rectangular. The north and south elevations each have four vertical windows, while another four windows at the east are graded in height. At the west is one large window.
Inside the church, a kitchen and toilet facilities are at the west end, with the sacristy at the northwest. The main worship space has a ceiling whose shape follows that of the roof, and a slate floor. The sanctuary occupies the northeast corner, giving the rectangular plan an asymmetrical accent. The furnishings appear to be all modern and include carved and framed timber Stations of the Cross, a hanging crucifix, and a Sacred Heart statue. The sanctuary has a raised timber floor, a circular altar, chair, lectern and tabernacle shelf, all of timber. The timber font beside the brass paschal candlestand has a blue glass bowl. Also in the sanctuary is a brass and timber processional crucifix.
Architect: John Waugh
Original Date: 2009
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed