Tansley Avenue, Coppull, Chorley PR4
A good design, in which massing and detail are well handled.
The church was built in 1926 to serve a congregation which hitherto had to travel to Standish or Weld Bank in Chorley. The design has been separately attributed to Michael Honan and to Anthony Ellis. Honan was killed in the Great War, and it is possible that Ellis acted as executant architect, realising Honan’s earlier designs.
Brick with stone dressings and banding, Westmorland slate roof. Byzantine style, with a lower west frontispiece incorporating a Crucifixus, sides with lunette windows and a semicircular apse flanked by chapels. A low group of vestries and confessionals is attached to the north-east side where there is a link to the presbytery.
The interior has a broad barrel roof probably of concrete construction, a west gallery with a bowed front and sides articulated by plain full-height pilasters. Tripartite east end articulated by pilasters with Ionic capitals. The sanctuary arch is flanked by lower arches to small domed chapels, a Lady Chapel, south and Sacred Heart Chapel, north. Alabaster reredos and altar, the latter brought forward. Plain bench seating, small stone font perhaps of 19th century date. A scheme of stained glass probably of early or mid 19th century date has medallions with Divines, historians, etc. This was brought from the presbytery of St Mary, Chorley and installed in the church in 1991.
Architect: Anthony Ellis (Directory)/Michael Honan (local history publication)
Original Date: 1926
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed