Halesowen Road, Cradley Heath, Sandwell B64
A 1980s brick-built church with hall attached, built on a modest budget and not of special heritage interest.
In 1926 the parish priest of Dudley purchased a small redundant factory in the Old Hill district of Cradley Heath and adapted it as the first church and parish centre in the area. Later there was a need for provision for Catholics in the Halesowen area and a chapel was built there, dedicated to Our Lady & St Kenelm. This was served from Cradley Heath for many years. In 1987 extensive dry rot was discovered here and it was condemned as unsafe. The present church and hall replaced it; the church was dedicated in 1988.
The church is of functional, economical design. It is steel-framed and faced with red brick under a concrete tile roof. The east end of the church is lit by two broad triangular windows. The hall is attached to the church and lies behind.
The church has a square worship space with low walls below the springing of the roof, giving a sense of compactness and intimacy. The steel framing is exposed in the trusses to the roof. There appear to be no fittings and furnishings of particular note.
Architect: Alan G. Goodwin & Associates
Original Date: 1988
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed